The YBC 2003 Scholarship
The YBC 2003 Scholarship Award compliments the Medicus Foundation's mission of improving the status of medical and dental education in Nigeria. The name of award reflects the origin of the Foundation, being an initiative of members of the 2003 Graduating set of the College of Medicine of the University of Lagos, hitherto known as the YBC 2003 group.
The award is aimed at promoting academic excellence, whilst recognising the reality of the difficult economic climate in Nigeria. This is one of the many ways in which The Medicus Foundation demonstrates its commitment to the development of medical and dental education in Nigeria.
The YBC 2003 Scholarship Award is open to undergraduates of the College of Medicine, University of Lagos. The Application Forms for the 2019/2020 YBC 2003 Scholarship will be available on this site from August 2019. Details of the application process will be given in due course.
Before commencing your application, please ensure you meet the following criteria:
- Be a Registered FULL TIME undergraduate of Medicine or Dentistry of the University of Lagos
- Be a certified 200 level student at the time of application
- Show proof of SSCE or Equivalent Certificate.
- Show proof of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations (UTME) score.
- Show proof of Admission letter from the University and Matriculation Number
- Show proof of A-level or Equivalent Certificate (for direct entry students)
- Students with less than 200 score in UTME need not apply
- Students with less than 3.0 Grade Points (equivalent to C grade) in any subject need not apply
- 300 level students and above need not apply
- Current beneficiaries of similar awards from any other Company or Government Agency need not apply
To qualify for the The YBC 2003 Scholarship Award, a candidate should have the following:
- Personal Information: Provide your name, date of birth and permanent home address. Upload your recent passport photograph.
- Contact Information: Provide your email and mobile phone information. Only use an active email and mobile phone number.
- University Information: Enter your university, course and year of study. You will be required to upload your JAMB/University admission letter.
- Result Information: Enter your JAMB score or CPGA. You are required to upload your JAMB statement of result and university CPGA. You will be required to upload your 100L transcript result.
- Probity Declaration: Download the Probity Declaration document, read and append your signature to it.
- Review Application: Review your application ensure all fields have been correctly entered:
- Ensure the following items are correctly uploaded with your application:
- Recent Passport Photograph
- Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (SSCE)
- UTME result
- JAMB/University Admission Letter
- 1st Year Result showing CGPA
- Two letters of recommendation
- Signed Probity Declaration
- Conclusion: Attest that all information given is true. Accept terms and conditions. You will receive an email to confirm this too.
Criteria / Rules for Award
The YBC 2003 Scholarship Award is an educational assistance programme open to undergraduate students of Medicine and Dentistry in the College of Medicine, University of Lagos only.
- The value of the Award is N150,000 per student per Academic Year
- All matriculated undergraduate regular students of Medicine and Dentistry in their second year of study in the University of Lagos are eligible to apply for the scholarship tests
- All candidates must supply their matriculation numbers and other relevant information from their Universities to be eligible for the award
- No scholarship is awarded to students on part time/sandwich programs
- The award is made to only those who are not holding any scholarships or bursaries from any other source
- The award is based on the result of assessment of the application letter and supporting information, carried out by the Board of Trustees of The Foundation
- The decision of the Board is final
- The award is effective for the current session of award but renewable for the remaining duration of the students’ program
- All awardees shall open an account in a Nigerian bank in their own name through which the scholarship payments shall be made. No awardee shall be paid in cash
- The call for submission of applications is publicized on the Foundation’s website.
- The application process is online.
- The Board of Trustees assesses the applications and makes a decision on awardees.
- Student verification exercise is carried out from time to time students on the scheme.
- Applicants will be required to sign a Probity Statement confirming that they are not in receipt of any other Scholarships or Bursaries from any other source.
- An Award letter signed by the Chairman of the Board of Trustees is the sole evidence of commitment of The Medicus Foundation to the awardee. The beneficiary must return a fully signed Acceptance Form committing him/her to the regulations guiding the YBC 2003 Scholarship Award.
- Payment of the award is strictly into the beneficiary’s personal bank account. The first payments shall be made within two months of the award while the subsequent payments shall be upon receipt of annual school result of beneficiary.
- Beneficiaries are strictly second year students of the University of Lagos and must have completed all admission processes and have obtained duly signed university Admission/Offer Letter and/or Student Matriculation number.
- No changes in the course of study, the location of study or the duration of course is entertained during the life of the YBC 2003 Scholarship award. Any such change must be communicated in a written application and reviewed on its merit.
- The YBC 2003 Scholarship award is non-transferable and non-extendable. It is not a future Engagement Contract neither is any student under any Bond with the Foundation during or after the period of award.
- An advertisement on the Foundation’s website shall kick start the process, calling prospective candidates to submit their applications. A nominal 4-week period is allowed for submission of applications.
- Award letters are issued upon approval. Successful candidates must acknowledge and commit to the rules guiding the scheme.
- Due diligence is carried out on the successful candidates to confirm all their data including student data and bank account details.
- The successful candidates’ profiles are captured in the database.
- An induction program may be organised for the new awardees to further highlight and enlighten them on the conditions of the scheme.
- Payment are processed for the awardees in line with approved procedure.
- The Foundation will use their information for promotion of the Scholarship on the Foundation’s website and on other promotional material, including but not limited to…